Re: Queanbeyan -Cooma Line

<jshugg@westpac.com.au> wrote in message news:8r5a17$641$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <39D5A9B2.24F9B8AB@magna.com.au>,
>   Peter Bollard <onk@magna.com.au> wrote:
> > I  noticed this scenic line when I was travelling back from the snow a
> > couple of weeks ago and wondered whether the line is used at all and
> > whether there are any plans for it as it seems a great resource that
> > looks sadly neglected.
> > Thanks in advance for any information.
> >

> Check out this site:
>
> http://www.cmrailway.org.au/
>
> The Cooma Monaro Railway people have restored some old CPH railmotors
> and run them along the line.
>
> Cheers... James

I took a ride on the CMR last Saturday - a very nice trip.  We only went as
far as Bunyan (8km or so towards Queanbeyan) but they run the last trip to
Chakola, which is a bit further.  I was told that there is a bridge just
past there which needs extensive repairs, otherwise the track is still all
in place up to Bredbo.  Between Bredbo and Michelago, the new highway
aligmnent has cut the line in a number of places.  ARHS ACT run south to
Michelago I believe, but I was told a dispute with a local landowner
regarding a culvert has cut back operations to Royalla - anyone know more on
this?  The line south of Cooma is still in place but sections have
apparently been removed in various places, as well as bridges requiring
work.

Cooma station is lovely, along with the loco shed and turntable, nicely
restored by the CMR group.  They have done a fantastic job of the Rail
Motors and trailers.  I'll get the pics back soon, if anybody is interested
I can email them.  I don't have a suitable web site at present to put them
on.

Cheers,
Trevor.