Re: Engine Voltage

Deano wrote:

> I went for a spin in an 81 class (Goulburn-Wollongong and return) the other
> day and being curious was wondering if anyone can fill me in on the
> electrics. I noted the max amps was up to 1200 with a continuous figure
> somewhere near 800. I understand these locos produce about 2400kw which at
> 1200 amps would equate to 2000 volts DC. A voltage this high would seem to
> carry a significant risk of arcing and I was wondering if this really is a
> problem or have I got the numbers wrong. I learned from the driver that the
> engine is connected to an AC generator which is then rectified to a DC
> voltage but he was not sure what it was. All in all it was a sensational
> experience and the escarpment was nothing short of spectacular in either
> direction. I have some electrical qualifications and am just curious, was
> wondering if anyone is familiar with the numbers applicable to these locos.

	I can't speak to the specific unit, but not having seen
	a specific reply.  Based on US practice:
		The meter may only be reading the current to
		_one_ motor.  (it being assumed the others are
		similar, plus or minus the wheelspit, which is looked
		after seperately.

		Typical DC Series Comutator traction motor voltages
		here were 600v for a long time, latterly, improved
		design techniques have this creeping upwards to
		the vicinity of 1kv and higher...

	I've no idea if this applies in Australia...
	best
	dwp