Re: Freight DMU [was Re: Latest news on Speedrail]

"Tezza" <tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote in message
39d706fb$0$26529$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39d706fb$0$26529$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "Dave Proctor"
> > "Arthur Marsh"
> > > What can be done to make it easier to load and unload containers at
> > smaller stations and sidings though? I've seen road trucks that have
on-board
> > > equipment so that they can load and unload a container with just the
> > driver and no external equipment, but wonder if anything could be done
on the
> > rail side.
> >
> > Shouldn't be too hard - you would just fit the crane equipment that some
> > trucks carry to the rail car. One crane between two cars, able to
operate on
> > both cars, should do it. No idea how it would affect axle loads though.
>
> Then you'd also need the hydraulic legs to stop the truck from tipping.
Only one crane between 2 cars would also present a problem
> unless it was a block train, otherwise you'd eventually end up with 2
cranes together and none at the other end.

Read my first post in this thread about what German Railways are doing - it
is a five-car articulated DMU, with a driving cab at each end, five
articulated wagons in between, and each car capable of carrying a container.

Dave