Re: Freight DMU [was Re: Latest news on Speedrail]

"Dave Proctor"
> "Arthur Marsh"
> > What can be done to make it easier to load and unload containers at
> smaller stations and sidings though? I've seen road trucks that have on-board
> > equipment so that they can load and unload a container with just the
> driver and no external equipment, but wonder if anything could be done on the
> rail side.
>
> Shouldn't be too hard - you would just fit the crane equipment that some
> trucks carry to the rail car. One crane between two cars, able to operate on
> both cars, should do it. No idea how it would affect axle loads though.

Then you'd also need the hydraulic legs to stop the truck from tipping. Only one crane between 2 cars would also present a problem
unless it was a block train, otherwise you'd eventually end up with 2 cranes together and none at the other end.