Re: Today (Sat) on 22 plat. Central

The reason I quoted Brisbane instead of Melbourne or Perth was specifically
because the Brizzie drivers release and close the doors but each train still
has a guard.  The departure  sequence of events (from observation is):
Guard double bells driver;
Driver closes doors (auto doors closing message heard then doors close);
Driver departs after cab indicator shows all doors closed; &
Guard would single bell to stop if required.

I made no mention of abolishing the guard's position precisely because of
the number of curved and crowded platforms in Sydney.

There are enough platforms in Sydney where overshoots are common and at
least the front door is off the platform (the up at Westmead has been a
frequent overshoot candidate of late) and the guard is not aware (no easy
way to be aware unless told by the driver).  It appears to me that the
driver controlling the opening of the doors is the safest option.

Also with overshoots I can't recall once having heard an apology made over
the PA by either the driver or the guard for an overshoot (does embarrased
silence best describes the situation?).  On a couple of front door overshoot
jobs I've seen the driver come back to check that detraining passengers are
ok which is top form.  If this isn't done the less agile have Buckley's of
getting back to next door before the train departs if the guard does not
know to allow extra time.   Regardless of why the train overshoots,
indifferent brakes, poor or variable adhesion, late brake application .....,
passengers deserve a very brief explanation, advice (wait, train will
reverse or use next door back ....) and an apology.

Chris

Magilla Gorilla <choochoo@spin.net.au> wrote in message
39D6A773.2B39553@spin.net.au">news:39D6A773.2B39553@spin.net.au...
> They have done the tests with cameras and mirrors and it isn't safe. I am
not
> sure what Brisbane is like but in Sydney there is a lot of curved
platforms.
> Also add the crowds. If anyone has seen the monitors at Wolli Creek and
Green