Re: NSW Around the Olympic Transport Venues 30/9

I'll add my own comments from my one visit to Sydney during the entire
Olympics. I went to the football final yesterday.

Drove from Canberra to Moss Vale. 8139 was stabled in the dock. Caught
4-car Endeavour on the 7.22 from Moss Vale. Having got up at 4.30, I dozed
between Bowral and Picton. I got off at Macarthur and transfered to a city
via airport service. Both services were crowded, but nobody was standing.
Also my first trip on the airport line. The stations are pretty, but the
flat screen displays are a bit hard to read from an angle.

Central was packed, but people were moving well. The only thing which
didn't impress me was the price of a cup of coffee!

Caught the 9.50 to Olympic Park, which was also packed ex-Strathfield.
Train emptied quickly and traffic moved well up the stairs and through the
barriers.

After the match (yay Cameroon!) I joined the human sea back to the
station, along with others from nearby venues. Staff and volunteers did a
fantastic job loading what would have been (quick calculation) about
50,000 passengers per hour. Only took me 25 mins to get from just outside
the stadium (gate N) to a seat on the train.

I just missed getting on one train, but that means I got a seat on the
next. Bit of congestion coming into Central, but we eventually got put
into platform 2. I didn't stick around to observe the goings on. Caught
the first train to Campbelltown, and transfered to the 17.55 to Moss Vale.

I saw the only freight movement of the day just as the sun was going down.
We passed what I think was a quarry train with an 82 up front.

I have nothing but praise for CityRail staff and all the volunteers.

Cheers
David