Re: [VIC] SRV Sale tour going ahead?

B. wrote:

> ARHS hiring Steamrail equipment?
>
> Wonders never cease. |-)

Seriously though, I think it would be good if the ARHS and Steamrail
started co-operating to run enthusiast tours. If the joint efforts of
both societies were put into running a tour, we would all be better off.
We may actually see the odd enthusiast tour with SRV's wooden cars and
for the high speed runs, it would be nice to have the AK and BKL as
first class non-airconditioned cars on all tours.

One of the main reasons I didn't go on the Wakool tour was because the
only non-airconditioned cars were the BK's, which in my opinion are the
worst carriages in Australia. If the Wakool tour had BKL600 and AK500 on
it and there was an option for booking into these cars, I would have
travelled on this tour. The parallel run tour had AK500 as first class
non-airconditioned. This seemed to be popular, but Steamrail haven't
done this since. I'm happy to pay an extra $10 to travel in the BKL or
AK.

The F class tour is another example of a tour that could have benefitted
from co-operation between SRV and the ARHS. You hardly need high speed
cars for a 30km/h tour! The wooden cars are much more comfortable, and
they would have looked far better behind the F. The really stupid thing
about this was, SRV are right next to 707ops at Newport. No transfer
movements would have been required.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: