Re: SCT to Perth, questions

On Fri, 24 Nov 2000 11:13:58 +1100, "Tezza"
<tezza2000@dingoblue.net.au> wrote:

>"Maurie Daly"
>
>> If the Railway company is the whole carrier , ie provided door to door
>> delivery,then all that is required is that when the train gets to the
>> far end terminal the Railway rings the customer , says your goods have
>> arrived ,when do you want us to deliver them .
>> The customer then determines the optimum time to suit themselves.
>> Obviously this class of train would have to be able to run for a
>> cheaper rate to attract a customer base happy with this style of
>> service.
>
>So an increased service, with increased costs with a decreased price? I'm sure
>they'll jump at it.

Why are the costs increased.
Running trains on demand means that trains can run with full loads
rather than carrying around wagon loads of air as NRC are now doing.
Trains that have to meet timetables must run to the timetable
regardless of what load the train has,which means that the train is
almosr always underloaded.

What are you solutions?
And asking the Govt for more funding for rail isnt one of them ,as non
funding of rail is bi partisan policy.

MD