Re: SCT to Perth, questions

"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
3a1c9c82.3923873@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a1c9c82.3923873@can-news.tpg.com.au...

> The other major problem is the timetables , ie trains leaving at
> particular times thruout the day , and customers having to arrange
> their delivery requirements to suit the timetables .
> We need another class of freight trains , one that leaves as soon as
> it has a certain load , so that a customers freight isnt sitting
> around at dynon all day waiting for the evening trains to leave.

The problem with this is that there is no indication of the expected arrival
time. If the train *normally* leaves at a certain time, but it fills up 6
hours early on one particular day, and therefore arrives at its destination
6 hours early, and there is nobody at the ultimate end destination to
receive it, there are then problems.

Business wants reliability, not necessarily speed. Timetables are the way to
go, as long as the timetables are realistic and sustainable.

The other problem with sending trains on demand is one that is seen at
Sydney airport with the KST bus services. They will wait until the bus is
full, and if you are one of the first on board, you can easily wait for over
30 minutes (and you have already paid, and no refunds). What if the train is
slow filling up, how long do the first forwarders have to wait?

Dave