Re: Privatisation of Australia's railways

I've been corresponding with one of my colleagues in Australia on this
matter.  The following is an excerpt from one of the notes.

"When you put the politicians in charge and leave the practitioners on
the sideline, messes generally result.  NSW is suffering from the Law
of Unintended Consequences.

In this context I'm reminded of the book Stephen Bright wrote for
Vince O'Rourke at QR, "The Line Ahead".  Bright and I had a very
interesting discussion over breakfast in Melbourne one time about how
every firm ought to have a book written like The Line Ahead.  It's of
some comfort to know where you are going before you get there.  In
general, the Australian railways seem to have no clue.

And I've been staying abreast of the travails of State Rail through
the internet newsgroups.  Too bad about Simon (Carsten Larsen, et.
al.), but State Rail has been a net consumer of hope and confidence
for a long time.  Things are unlikely to change until the pols decide
to bring in some pros and leave 'em alone to get the job done.
Interestingly enough, the UK has taken a similar approach to the
railways and seems to be seeing similar results."