[Melb] Tram workers mean business in their hip new uniforms

http://www.theage.com.au/news/20001123/A15018-2000Nov22.html

Tram workers mean business in their hip new uniforms

By SUSHI DAS
TRANSPORT REPORTER
Thursday 23 November 2000

Don't be surprised if you board a tram next month and someone who looks
distinctly like a commuter in a pinstriped suit asks to see your ticket.

The new Yarra Trams staff uniform is almost indistinguishable from commuter
attire, with urban grey the hot new color.

The company, which intends to bring sleek French-style trams to Melbourne
next year, yesterday launched its "hip new uniform" at the Westin Hotel.

Playing up the French connection, chief executive Hubert Guyot said: "I
think you will find it very oo la la," as the music started pounding and
Yarra Trams staff modelled the uniform nervously on a catwalk.

The range, designed by Melbourne designer Dianne Clark, was developed after
consultation with Yarra Trams employees. Revenue Protection Officers, who
check tickets, will wear business-style pinstriped suits and tram drivers
will have the "techno-style, black zip-front racer jackets".

The company's press release states: "All staff will have a molten grey,
lab-style coat adorned with epaulettes."

Ms Clark, whose label is Ellin Ambe, said the staff had requested a
comfortable, corporate look that would command respect.

Mr Guyot said: "We wanted to develop a uniform that is smart and reflects
our innovation and professionalism. I think we have achieved our goal."

Tram driver Adam Kelly certainly thought so: "It makes you feel more
confident and passenger friendly. We don't look so daggy any more."