Re: Privatisation of Australia's railways

Goldie wrote:

> Government services used to be competent, professional and economically
> viable - when employess had career paths and before political correctness.
>
> Security of employment was generally better than private enterprise - but a
> person could be fired if they stuffed up real bad!
>
> Then security of employment became enshrined, it is now almost impossible to
> get rid of dead wood - and the comptent employees and managers don't hang
> around - too frustrating and if you are the only one doing something you are
> the only one making mistakes - get the drift?
>
> Now with sideways promotions, narrow corporitised departments, and imported
> managers with every Govt change destroying any semblance of an internal
> career path is discouraging to any competent emloyee.
>
> Unfortunately many private companies are now going the same way - plus they
> have no job security.  At least they usually cull the dead wood (but often
> miss the con men).
>
> Experience these days also counts for little - a young Uni graduate is
> almost always preferred to and older experienced person.

I'm about to complete my studies in civil engineering, hopefully to end
up working in the transportation engineering or even railway
engineerinng industries.

What I find now is that many people who are about to graduate, aren't
willing to start at the bottom rungs and work their way up gaining
experience as they should. It seems that everyone now wants to
immediately join  management consultancies, who for some unknown reason
offer positions to graduates - often not in the field they studied.

My impression always was that a consultancy meant experts, people who
were good at doing what they did and had years of experience doing
that.But now it seems that a consultant is just a general expert. As
they put it on `The Games'

"Im a consultant"
whats a consultant?
"An Expert"
an expert at what?
"Consulting"

If I for any reason needed a consultant to do work for me, I'd be a bit
disappointed if they chucked a recent graduate and charged a typical
$150 per hour for their work.

Needless to say I don't plan on becoming a consultant I do truly have
expertise in a particular subject to offer, and thats not going to
happen for years yet!

Santosh

--
NOTE: This email address will no longer be available after December 2000