Re: Airport link company Defaults on loan

The Airpolrt Link had more to do with just the Airport though. Yes the
Aiport patrons were to be the main source of fare revenue, and always
will be. However the other two stations - Mascot and Green Square were
expected to be developed into medium/high density residential suburbs
(ie. apartments). Future patronage must surely have included a certain
percentage of income from these developments too.

Perhaps Airport Link are getting greedy and not willing to wait until
these areas become developed AND populated?

On another note, of interest to the roads V rail argument. The airport
has been the destination for two competing forms of transport. Airport
Motorway opened the Eastern Distributor about this time last year, and
were clever enough to make trips headed towards the airport toll free.
The Eastern Distributor in the south (airport bound) direction carries a
large volume of traffic, however I understand that the north bound
traffic that is tolled is nowhere near this rate. Airport Link on the
other hand opened middle of this year and are charging ridiculuous
amounts. It'd be interesting to see how the Airport Express buses are
faring in all this.

So here we have it in Sydney, direct open competition of journeys to the
airport. At least the Taxi Drivers are suffering badly - one good point!

Santosh

--
NOTE: This email address will no longer be available after December 2000