Re: More safety officers for Melbourne trains

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 01:34:31 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>100 roving safety officers will start working on Melbourne's train network
>early next year.
>
>http://www.abc.net.au/news/state/vic/archive/metvic-20nov2000-17.htm
>
>(Will they wear blue vests?)
Perhaps they should wear bullet-proof vests. I am concerned for the
safety of the safety officers. How will they defend themselves against
the aggressive misfits who travel our train system? Will they have
direct access to police? Will they travel in pairs. I notice there are
women amongst the safety officers. This is a worry, as women may not
be able to defend themselves as well as men (not in all cases) and
it's a well known fact that women don't like travelling on our trains
after dark. Our new safety officers will also be checking tickets.
This would be a full time task on its own, as a vast number of
passengers (IMHO) evade fares. Will the safety officers be issuing
fines or warnings or what? I believe an increase in transit police
numbers would be more appropriable than safety officers.