Re: [Vic] Truckies Blockade

>The more obvious point is why on earth is fuel trucked >in.?
> If the railways themselves wont use rail to deliver their >own
> requirements,how on earth do they expect anyone else >to use it.

Dynon has a direct  pipe line which is still in position. Only problem is
that it goes to the Shell Refinery!
This meant that Shell controlled the pricing, and when V/Line Freight got a
better deal from Mobil, the pipeline became obsolete!
> If the answer is that its cheaper to truck the fuel in,then >the above
> question has been answered.
> Freightcorpse changed to trucking fuel into Delec years >ago.
Built into the pricing was a discount to offset the losses of using Road
Transport!
Mobil also got all Freight Australias fleet of  motor vehicles.

 > I suppose its less traffic, allowing more paths for $$ >earning frieght.
>
> Quicker and cheaper I think. Certainly quicker.

As Dynon has extensive storage facilities, Quicker really does not come into
it.
Mobil trucks pass Dynon many times a day, and together with the National
Rail provisioning Centre, it makes good sense to be able to top up with the
near empty trucks returning to Newport.
So if a truck returning to Newport has a few thousand litres of Diesel on
board, he empties as he passes, on his return to Newport. Basically saves
Mobil money, and anything that is built into the contract for cartage,
becomes a bonus. When a truck is not immediatly needed for a job, a twenty
minute trip to Dynon, keeps the tanks filled...too easy...even F/A could not
compete with that!
Rod [comtrain]