Re: Floods in NSW

Update on the flooded North West.

The rail line to Wee Waa was disconected today to allow the flood barriers
to be put in place. Don't expect any trains out that way for at least a week
or two.

The line to North Star is cut by a wash away  just sout of Milguy.

The line from Werris Creek to Binnaway is cut by a wash away. This wash away
claimed a 48 class. It could be several months before they can get this
loco. Its on its side almost burried by flood waters.

The coal train derailment down Singleton way has had the line blocked from
Newcastle since Saturday.

Last night a wash away at Willow Tree and a rock slide at Ardglen closed the
lines north completley. It will be at least 3 days before these are fixed.

The exploder has been captive to the north west since the singleton
derailment. Now it is captive to Werris Creek and the Northern area.

No freight trains have been run north of Gurley due to flooded road ways.
Can't do crew reliefs.

There will be no shuttles this flood in Narrabri as we could not get a 600
class up from down south. I doubt that Tamworth will have anything either.
It would be very unlikely that they would use the exploder to run shuttle
services.

Most roads around the Narrabri area are now closed and the situation is
going to get worse. The first flood level will be higher than the 98 flood,
but it is the second flood peak, the one happening at Tamworth now is of
more concern. Tamworth flood levels are around the 1955 flood levels. If
this occurs in Narrabri, most of the town will be under water.

The rail line is still open to Werris Creek, but this is likely to change
over the day or two. I would expect by Wednesday for the line to be cut.

Looks like a very quiet week at work.

Gavin.

--
Gavin Potter