Re: Fuel economy of Xplorers

    In re fuel usage of diesel engines, the average good diesel engine has a
Specific Fuel Consumption of about 0.27 litres/kW/hr, or 0.2 litres/BHP/hr.
So, if you know the average kW or horse power per hour used in a journey by
any diesel engined vehicle you can get an idea of the possible range of that
vehicle, knowing the tank capacity.  This S.F.C. figure is based on the
Imperial figures of 0.35 pounds weight of fuel / brake horse power/ hour,
just in case anyone wants to check my conversion from Imperial to metric
units.(diesel fuel is about 8 pounds to the Imp. gallon, and engine thermal
efficiency is assumed to be 33%).
                            Regards,
                                                    Bill.

9