[MELB] New Bayside timetables

Managed to pick up a couple of these yesterday.  Got the Franskston TT from
Moorabbin, but they don't have the Dandenong TT there - had to go to
Caulfield.

The thing most disturbing is the situation for those transferring between
the Franskston
and Dandenong lines at Caulfield in the evenings.   This is a very common
transfer as there are few buses at these times.

My reading shows that the ex-Frankston trains arrive at Caulfield at exactly
the
same time as the Dandenong-bound trains arrive at Caulfield.  Same story for
ex-Dandenong
trains to Caulfield and Frankston-bound trains via Caulfield.  This 0 min
transfer time
applies  seven nights a week.

The old timetable had a gap of about 2 min on weekday evenings for
transfers.  My experience
is that this worked about 90% of the time (at least when transferring from
Frankston line to
Dandenong line).

I think 0 minutes is cutting it a bit fine.  Passengers are left in doubt as
to whether the transfer will work
or will have to wait 29 min for the next train, as there is no note about it
in the timetable.

Does anyone know if there will be any holding of trains at Caulfield to
ensure that people can
make this important transfer?  If not, I fear that the resultant patronage
loss will be greater than the gain
of moving from 40 to 30 min on Sunday evenings.

Peter

Peter Parker

E-mail: parkerp@alphalink.com.au