Re: Road vs Rail

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:42:11 +0930, Tell <tell@hate.spammers.com.au>
wrote:

>More money on roads yet again.  The gov has announced
>that big mobs of "unexpected" tax receipts will be
>spent on rural roads.
>
>Of course the ALP has said the money should give relief
>to high petrol prices.
>Notice their pitch for the populist vote as well.!
>Same thing different angle.
>
>I can feel an election coming on.
>
>....Tell

Around a cool $1B to be spent on roads , mainly in rural and regional
areas.
Govt has admitted that revenue from petrol excise is over double what
they estimated due to the high price of fuel,and the additional
excise.
In addition , the 2c /litre indexation increase in Feb , will raise
yet another $800 M .(This is to pay for increased defence expenditure)
Note that Labor Party is in agreement about the need for Defence
expenditure.
All thanks to Paul Keating for introducing indexation of fuel excise.
Wont be long before we will be paying more in excise for fuel than
what the fuels worth.
Dont forget also,that the GST on fuel is on both the retail price plus
the excise.

MD