Re: [NSW] Ropes Creek

In article <8ulm3h$g87$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,  <maikha_l@hotmail.com> wrote:
> To all
>
> I'm interested in something with the old Ropes Creek line (Electrified,
> junction with St. Marys,built after WWII, Dunheaved, Cochrane and Ropes
> Creek Stations and closed in 1986). Or what I like calling it "Ropsy".
>
> I come past that line every week. I was looking in an old street
> directory (The most unreliable source of information for a rail
> enthusiast, no offence) and an old Sydney atlas and found the line
> still there.
>
> Just before Dunheaved Station there would be another track stretching
> out and extending around the boundary of the East of Dunheaved Golf
> Course (This was in the atlas)
>
> In the Street directory, there would be "disused line" and will have
> the same track I'm trying to explain.
>
> Now I'm very curious about this, was there another line along the Ropsy
> Branch line extending somewhere? Are there remains of it, like Ropsy
> today?

This was a private branch running from the western end of Dunheved yard
for about 5km to the St Mary's Munitions Works, and was known as the
Magazine Siding. I'm not sure what condition this line is in, or how
accessible it is.

If you want to know more about the Ropes Creek branch, I suggest you
check out the book, "Sydney's Forgotten Military Railways", from the
NSW ARHS bookshop.

See ya,
Rolfe

--
Rolfe Bozier            email: rolfe@pobox.com    http://www.pobox.com/~rolfe
Software Developer	phone: +61 2 9427 8373 (ah/bh/mobile)