Re: More electrification

In article <rIbP5.3543$tU2.27167@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
  "Sam Eades" <seades@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Alex Pout <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> 3a0d33fd$0$19422$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:3a0d33fd$0$19422$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> > Would it be worthwhile for QR to look at electrifying out to
Toowoomba,
> and
> > further??
>
> This discussion has been had many times in the past...
>
> The conclusion has been that the Gatton - Toowoomba section has so
many
> curves in it so it would take too long to be viable for a commuter
service.
> Helidon and Gatton have been identified by the Banana Benders in this
group
> as being possible locations for a commuter service (electrified or
> otherwise) but the bus service is so good that the train service would
have
> to be very good to compete...

The QLD Government funded a corridor study in the 1999-2000 State
Budget, the aim being to identify & preserve a future rail corridor
between Grandchester and Gowrie (on the western line beyond Toowoomba,
and the original junction for the line to Warwick & Wallangarra).  This
was announced in the following press release:

http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/cgi-bin/display-archives.pl?secure=
false&archive_type=current&filename=3930.html

The situation is complicated by the Australian Inland Railway Expressway
mob, who wish to get a line between Melbourne & Brisbane via Toowoomba
running by 2004.

http://www.aire.com.au/

It is likely that any future developments between Toowoomba & Brisbane
will be standard guage or dual guage, in the form of a joint venture
with QR.

The dual track parts of the main line to Toowoomba are all quite well
graded & aligned.  The problems are the steeply graded, tightly curved
sections between Grandchester & Laidley, and between Helidon and
Toowoomba.  These sections also suffer from restrictive clearances due
to the 11 tunnels dating from the 1860s (2 at the Little Liverpool
Range, a further 9 on the main range at Toowoomba).

In my opinion a viable Toowoomba rebuild would consist of a new tunnel
under the Little Liverpool Range from Grandchester, thence bypassing
Laidley to the north with a passenger station out of town, then
following the existing dual track (possibly with curve easing between
Gatton & Grantham) to Helidon, thence up Rocky Creek valley to a new
tunnel under the main range emerging in the vicinity of Gowrie Junction.
For passenger services, electrified narrow guage could then continue
back into Toowoomba, terminating at the current station.  Dual or
standard guage would bypass Toowoomba to the west via Charlton, roughly
following the route of the original Southern Line.

regards,
Colin Weaver

--
This account is a spam filter.  Please send e-mail replies to:
colin.weaver<AT>boeing.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.