Zig Zag history

I have often wondered why the Zig Zag railway was relaid in narrow gauge and
uses mainly QR rolling stock.
The story I heard was that in the early 1970's the NSW railways had refused
to sell them steam locos and because of this they had to buy interstate.
I don't think this could be true as other groups (Dorrigo, LVR and ARHS-Act
div) had little trouble making purchases, and the NSW railways scrapped many
working steam locos in the mid 1970's (well after the ZZR's first QR
purchase in 1971).
Or maybe there is another reason?

Chris