Re: Rail plan angers residents

Matthew Geier wrote:

> >http://www.illnews.com.au/today/2069332.htm

Upon further reflection, it does seem that the residents are complaining
about the proposed construction of railway catenary.

>  Umm how does one electrify a railway with underground cables.... :-)

You don't.

>  I assume they are complaining about the feeder transmission lines, but
> compared to the catenary, they would have minimal visual impact, you would
> have trouble noticing any thing other than the heavy DC catenary wires....

Here's an extract from the article:

> Bombo resident Ron Lyons, whose home overlooks Bombo Beach, said he was
> ropeable at the decision, which would spoil one of the area's most
> spectacular views.

Hah. No more than the roads do, I should say.

> "I think that when they're planning these things and the environment report
> says they should go underground then they should just cost that in," he
> said.

I think Ron is confusing "substation feeders" with "railway catenary".

> "In 50 years people will look at that railway line in disgust.

No, Ron, they won't.

> They'll
> understand why the line had to be right on the coast but they won't
> understand why there had to be big ugly towers over the line."

Yes, Ron, thy will.

The mind, it boggles. What on earth did he expect from electrification?

There's a feedback link on the webpage - it may behoove some of our more
knoweledage people to outline the folly of the article in question.

--
Rob K