Re: [NSW] Glenbrook report set to to claim its first casualty

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:17:06 GMT, Hubert Lam <hubert@imap4.com> wrote:

>Why is it that the government is continuously avoiding responsibility
>when Scully wants to call it Rail Infrastructure Corporation and Peter
>McInerney wants it known as Rail Infrastructure Authority? economic
>rationalism again? It's been proven that economic rationalism only
>works 20%...

Pretty simple really.
Govt owned Corporations are obliged to pay dividends to their
shareholders , the Govt whereas Govt Authorities arnt.
ie Authorities are supposed to provide a service to the public.

The other differance also is that Govt owned Corporations are supposed
to be at arms lengtht from Govt,ie not subject to direct Ministerial
intervention,wheras a Govt Authority could expect to be directly
accountable to the Minister.
In reality though it doesnt matter a stuff,as the Minister interferes
with both..
The other interesting question is why is part of State Rail an
Authority and the other part a Corporation.
Why dont we have the State Rail Corporation,which could include Rail
Infrastructure,or why the hell is it still necessary to have two
separate Govt bodies,both accountable to Scully running trains in NSW.

MD