[VIC] Robinvale tour - Day 1

I motorcaded this train from Melton to Maryborough today (I would have
rather been on it :-) ). Locos and consist from Melbourne were K190 -
D3_639 - VOAF9 - Goulburn - Coliban - Inman - BKL600 - BRS14 - Werribee
- Indi - LAN - Nomuldi - PCJ492.

I first photographed the special on the Melton Weir bridge at around
0910. We then went to the armco at the top of the horse shoe curve. Both
locos were working hard and put on a fine show as it passed us at 1038.
However, the train gradually got slower and slower and it didn't reach
the Dog Trap Gully road bridge until 1053. At about 1110, it came to a
complete stop as it emerged from the cutting near Bank Box Loop. By this
time, the up pass had arrived at the loop and was waiting for the
special. The train didn't move until 1128 and it took until 1133 for it
to enter the loop. Although this show was paradise for all the gunzels,
I don't think National Express would be too happy.

After this, we moved to the level crossing just around the corner from
the loop. Then we found out that the special had to wait in the loop for
over an hour to allow a down and an up pass through. Shortly after
departing, it reached the level crossing at 1250. I then photographed it
at Ballan at 1315 and it arrived in Ballarat sometime around 1400 (I
didn't record the time). At 1527 it passed the site of the Australasia
mine just out of Creswick and it arrived in Maryborough at about 1650.
By the time it left Maryborough at around 1740 it was running well over
2 hours late. I photographed it just outside the town at 1748 and
decided to quit for the day.

I would really like to say thank you to Steamrail for removing the
headboards. It was good to be able to photograph a Steamrail train
without them. However, they also removed the smoke deflectors from K190,
which was very dissapointing as it would have been really good to have
been able to photograph a VR-looking K and D3. If Steamrail begins to
remove the headboard more often, then maybe in the future I will finally
be able to see two black VR locos without a headboard. Does anyone know
when the smoke deflectors will be put back?

I also think the volunteers did an excellent job on Coliban and Inman.
The standard of restoration of these two carriages shows what Steamrail
is capable of. It would be good to see their entire fleet of wooden
non-airconditioned cars painted in the proper red and white livery. All
they have to do is use white lettering instead of yellow lettering and
leave off the yellow stripe and their carriages would be in VR
condition.

As usual, I always prefer to travel on a train rather than motorcade it.
All I am waiting for is a reasonably priced railfan tour and I will be
on it. Maybe next year's Tocumwal tour in February could be run with the
wooden cars?

On another note, was the load of this train close to the maximum goods
load for a K and D3 on the Ingliston bank, or was there some other sort
of problem?

Here are two image captures from my MiniDV video:

K190 and D3 639 almost at a standstill near Dog Trap Gully road:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/k190_d3639_ingliston_bank.jpg

K190 and D3 639 pass through Ballan:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/pics/vidcaps/k190_d3639_ballan.jpg

Please note: These images are copyright and must not be used for
anything other than personal non-profit use without my permission.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au