Sydney monoral [was Re: Bus Privatization

Daniel M. Laenker wrote:

> For that matter, the Sydney monorail system is privately owned and
> operated. IIRC, its owners had put forth a bid to greatly expand the
> system in order to connect it to the Homebush Olympic Village, but the
> bid was rejected by someone or something. Anyone know more about that?

The monorail operators may or may not have done that, but I can't see
why such an extension could be taken seriously. The monorail is slow and
of limited capacity, whereas Homebush is served by fast, frequent,
high-capacity double deck EMUs which showed they could shift 60,000
people in an hour with ease during the games.

AFAIK the monorail would be pulled down tomorrow if someone put up the
money to remove it.

I've crossed this into aus.rail where no doubt a Sydney person will
quickly answer your question.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand