Re: Sydney monoral [was Re: Bus Privatization

In article <3A049B18.7C92@iprolink.co.nz>,
David McLoughlin  <davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote:
>Daniel M. Laenker wrote:
>
>> For that matter, the Sydney monorail system is privately owned and
>> operated. IIRC, its owners had put forth a bid to greatly expand the
>> system in order to connect it to the Homebush Olympic Village, but the
>> bid was rejected by someone or something. Anyone know more about that?

 I somehow doubt it. There was some speculation of extending into some
Pyromont housing development I think, but I don't think it was the monorail
operators.
 The Monorail is effectively dead technology. Parts are apparently hard to
get for the Von-Roll monorail trains now.

>AFAIK the monorail would be pulled down tomorrow if someone put up the
>money to remove it.

 Im sure the operators (Connex) would go for it on the proviso that they
didn't have to pay for it, and that the Sydney Light Rail system gets it
City loop.

 The only reason the Monorail is still running is TNT figured it would
probably cost more to dismantle it than to keep running and hope.
 The monorail apparently these days make a small profit. It covers running
costs at least. When the monorail trains start to suffer major mechanical
problems and need replacing, abandonment will be on the agenda, i'm sure.
 I bet the City Council has some sort of condition on the operating lease
preventing an operator from abandoning the system and leaving the track in
place for the council to worry about....