Re: Rail unions support Glenbrook inquiry recommendation

On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 10:44:30 GMT, "Dave Proctor"
<daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>"Maurie Daly" <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>3a03d80b.43463955@can-news.tpg.com.au">news:3a03d80b.43463955@can-news.tpg.com.au...
>
>> >It is actually the competition that has driven costs up.
>> >
>> >Dave
>>
>> There isnt any competition in the banking industry.
>
>RAMS? Aussie Home Loans?
>
>> Simply because there is more than 1 bank doesnt mean competition.
>
>There are alternatives to the banks. The advent of mortgage brokers and
>other lenders has meant that the banks can no longer subsidise savings
>accounts from the profits made on loans - hence the reason why fees on
>savings accounts have risen.
>
>> Competition only exists when there isnt any restrictions on the entry
>> of new players,which there currently is in the banking system,
>
>Banking indistry, yes. Financial services industry, not as many, and there
>ARE alternatives (wanders off to check credit union account, and sees no
>fees for last three months).
>
>> Its the same in the media / broadcasting industry where we have 3
>> media propriaters and no more are allowed.
>> The telecommunication system works as there are no more than 40
>> carriers and anyone can enter the industry.
>
>Not anyone - you need an ACA licence, so it is regulated as well.
>
>Dave

No it isnt.
The ACA cant refuse a carrier license to anyone who wants one .
As long as one pays the requisite fees ,you can become a carrier.
There is a differance between regulation and prohibition.

MD