Re: Our nearby neighbours in NZ....

> The Silver Fern railcars are a most impressive conveyance, little
wonder
> as they have the same 900hp donk as the Dj loco's (Caterpiller) with
> just 2 cars to move.

They once were the pride (acutally still is)of New Zealand
Rail/promotion of NZ tourist industry. They are comfortable and smooth
ride.

> The on-train staff were generally outstanding.  Some of them simply
> could not be more helpful/friendly.  Also found train controllers,
> drivers, signalmen etc to be very approachable.

Yes...Tranzrail is one of the most railfan friendly company. Just look
at their official homepage, you can even read their staff magazine.

> There are some good examples in NZ of how rail should and shouldn't be
> done.
> Auckland is how it shouldn't be done - main station out of town, two
> main suburban routes served by ex-Perth railcars, no service after
7pm,
> none on weekends.  Massive traffic congestion.  A pretty ordinary city
> all round really.

Last time when I was there(July 1999) the beautiful old Auckland
railway station been converted to a student accomadation for university
students.  A "container" like structure built right next to platform 1
act as a booking office and waiting room.

> Some ace rail journies, the Tranzcoastal Picton-Christchurch is my
pick
> of them, mile after mile of ocean running, Pacific Ocean on one side,
> snow capped mountains on the other.  Burbling DX up front, 100km/h
> running and just taking it all in from the open observation car, great
> stuff!  The Tranzalpine is also great (Christchurch-Greymouth).
> Southerner between Palmerston and Dunedin also spectacular.

Overlander is just as good, I love the end observation carriage.
Wouldn't it be good if we have that on the <Overland>.

--
Cheers

Railway Rasputin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/