Re: [OT] ideal file size of a jpeg or gif image

In article <xsPN5.78359$YX4.2448356@news2.giganews.com>,
Dave Proctor <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> It is a bit like publishing in braille - I could adopt a viewpoint that I
> will only publish in braille, and anyone who wants to read my literary
> offerings needs to learn braille. Anyone who does not learn braille can be
> damned, after all, I am perfectly entitled to publish in braille, am I not?
>
> Of course, this would be silly, as not everyone can read braille.

Maybe, maybe not.  After all, this is the Internet.  Anyone(*) can put
up a site targetted at any audience they choose.  It could be in Braille,
Aramaic, Esperanto or Morse code;  it's the author's right to choose.  If
you don't like it, then too bad.  There's certainly plenty of other sites
to choose from :-)

For what it's worth, many of today's "standards" arose from people trying
out something and getting enough people to agree that it was a "good thing".
Plenty of silly ideas bit the dust in the meantime, but that's half the
fun, no?

And speaking of fun, isn't that why people put up these sites?  I know
that's certainly my only motivation.  Constructive criticism is fair
enough(**), but personal attacks???  The "old" adage that "it's all just
1s and 0s" always seems to hold.

If James wants to publish high-quality images, then that is his right.  If
you want to help promulgate a web site standard layout, than that's a good
thing too.

But please, take this discussion to email because this is aus.rail and
we're getting bored with the whole thing :-)

See ya,
Rolfe

(*) I don't want to start a debate on access to the Internet, ok?
--
Rolfe Bozier            email: rolfe@pobox.com    http://www.pobox.com/~rolfe
Software Developer	phone: +61 2 9427 8373 (ah/bh/mobile)