Re: auckland, christchurch rail

In article <OzkO5.8$KQ6.2525@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
  "geoff dawson" <geoffrey.dawson@aph.gov.au> wrote:
> 2. Dare one ask why Christchurch rail station was moved out of town?
> For the greater good of some worthwhile civic improvement? Or becaue
> someone figured they could make most money from the site by selling
> it to McDonalds?

It might have been something to do with locating the passenger station
at the junction of the south and north-bound lines, allowing thru
running.  Maybe. A rummage through my NZ mags of the era would find the
official answer, if I could be bothered.

I never really thought the ChCh station was a town station anyway.
Whilst Addington is certainly a long way out, the original station
seemed to me to be quite a few blocks from downtown - probably
comparable in distance to Auckland, which I walked often enough.

JD
--
John Dennis
Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway