Re: Semaphores

In article <zMrO5.30202$e5.50748@newsfeeds.bigpond.com>,
  "Geoff Downes (Graphic Mountain Pty Ltd)"
<graphicmountain@bigpond.com> wrote:
> Does anyone out there know the dimensions of a typical semaphore home
> signal and distant signal

If you are interested, the fine new book "Sempahore to CTC" has this
information about NZ signals.

Turn of the century LQ signals - the arm is 4'10" long, but extends 5'
from the pivot.  Arm widens from 9.75" at the pivot to 11.5" at the end.
The stripe is 9" wide, located 12.5" from the end.

Somersault signal arms - which to my eye match those in Victoria,
Commonwealth Railways and WA(?) - are 4'10" in length, parallel, 10"
wide throughout, and the curve at the mast end is of 5" radius.  The
stripe is 10" wide, and located 12" from the end of the arm.  The pivot
is 27" from the end of the arm, and therefore 31" from the rounded end.

Since this newsgroup is heavily NSW biased, you probably didn't want to
know this.  But here are dimensions of some signal arms - these
presented simply because the book is sitting on the desk beside me
waiting to be read.

Cheers...JD
--
John Dennis