Re: auckland, christchurch rail

In article <3A0B9E33.E56ECDEA@the.net.nz>,
  Bill <billguest@the.net.nz> wrote:

> When I lived in Auckland (a bloody awful place, I might add) about 25
> years ago

When I lived in Auskcland 25 years ago I thought it was wonderful.
Living 6 miles east of the city, with views towards Rangitoto and over
the gulf, a bus trip to work with just a handful of stops and no traffic
lights basically until the city itself - it was bliss.  When I left
after my 2 years I spent much of the next five years wondering why...

I do admit things have changed now - but the harbour and gulf are the
same, the Waitaks are still (almost) the same, it's just that the
population has increased much, much faster than the infrastructure can
support it.

Last year I sat upstairs at an open window in a restaurant at St Heliers
and just soaked in the view.  When I commented how beautiful it was, the
waitress said "yeah, I s'pose so".  I think it is too easy to forget the
good points and concentrate on the bad.

JD
--
John Dennis