Re: Hillside (Eastern Suburbs Rly)

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
VbhY4.3$mQ5.292802@news0.optus.net.au">news:VbhY4.3$mQ5.292802@news0.optus.net.au...
> "Wizzer" <wizzer1865@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> 39312cdd$0$2615@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39312cdd$0$2615@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> >
> > "Eric Cartman" <erk_cartman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > 8gq0n8$t29$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8gq0n8$t29$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > > If a Tangara can cope with some of the heavy grades in NSW ok, a 4D
> > > with Tangara specs should be able to. I wonder if it is partly drivers
> > > driving the train like a Comeng and not like a 4D. I bet any of the
> > > Sydney drivers down here would be able to drive 4D and not have half
> > > the problems that Melbourne's do.
> >
> > Are you saying we can't drive trains down here, the wheelslip around
> Chatham
> > on the down line is due to the fact that its not used enough; ie ; not
at
> > all on weekends; also overhanging trees drop leaves which do cause the
odd
> > slipping.
>
> I read and reread and reread again what Eric wrote, and I can't see
anywhere
> that he is suggesting that Melbourne drivers cannot drive. What he *is*
> suggesting is that with only one train of the type, drivers do not get on
it
> very often, they spend all year driving Comeng and Hitachi trains, so when
> they get on the 4D they perhaps drive it less appropriately than it should
> be driven. This is not meant as a criticism of Melbourne drivers, just a
> realisation that you cannot drive something properly if you only get on it
> once a year (or thereabouts).
>
> Dave

I know its not a criticism but when it was in service I ran it probably once
or twice a week, I was usually asked if I was qualified on it because too
many blokes when they discovered they were rostered for it tried to swap out
of it or went off sick. I didn't mind driving it but I still believe that an
8 car set would have been more beneficial in the long run, one 4 car set is
no good to anyone or anything.

Regards Wizzer