Re: Hillside (Eastern Suburbs Rly)

"Wizzer" <wizzer1865@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
39312cdd$0$2615@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:39312cdd$0$2615@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> "Eric Cartman" <erk_cartman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> 8gq0n8$t29$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8gq0n8$t29$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> > If a Tangara can cope with some of the heavy grades in NSW ok, a 4D
> > with Tangara specs should be able to. I wonder if it is partly drivers
> > driving the train like a Comeng and not like a 4D. I bet any of the
> > Sydney drivers down here would be able to drive 4D and not have half
> > the problems that Melbourne's do.
>
> Are you saying we can't drive trains down here, the wheelslip around
Chatham
> on the down line is due to the fact that its not used enough; ie ; not at
> all on weekends; also overhanging trees drop leaves which do cause the odd
> slipping.

I read and reread and reread again what Eric wrote, and I can't see anywhere
that he is suggesting that Melbourne drivers cannot drive. What he *is*
suggesting is that with only one train of the type, drivers do not get on it
very often, they spend all year driving Comeng and Hitachi trains, so when
they get on the 4D they perhaps drive it less appropriately than it should
be driven. This is not meant as a criticism of Melbourne drivers, just a
realisation that you cannot drive something properly if you only get on it
once a year (or thereabouts).

Dave