Re: Brisbane Airport Rail Link

Colin Weaver <weaver@powerup.com.au> wrote in message
39325047.B05CA5D7@powerup.com.au">news:39325047.B05CA5D7@powerup.com.au...
> I saw that article in the Courier Mail - not only did it refer to the
> new light rail to the airport, it also had an illustration of an ADTranz
> EuroTram in front of Sth Brisbane which was taken straight off the
> Brisbane Light Rail website!
>
> The Gold Coast line could do with a clockface half hourly timetable - I
> was quite surprised when I looked at the QROTI TVM and found that it
> doesn't even stick to a half hourly peak, then hourly off-peak pattern,
> instead varying slightly from a half hourly or hourly pattern through
> the day.
>
> For example, on a weekday trains for Robina depart Central at:
>
> 5:31, 6:01, 6:49, 7:46, 8:26, 8:57, 9:26, 9:56, thence hourly
> until 12:56, 13:26, 13:56, 14:26, 14:56, 15:27, 16:03, 16:29,
> 17:30, 18:00, 18:29, 19:30, 20:26, 21:26, 22:26, 21:26
>
> This kind of almost but not quite regular timetable is nearly
> impossible to remember and probably plays a small part in
> discouraging use of the service (not that the Gold Coast
> trains look under utilised).
>
> I doubt the 4 new IMUs will be sufficient to improve things much.  QR
> needs to invest in a substantial new batch of IMUs - who knows, Walkers
> come up with something even better than the 220 series SMUs.
>
> --Colin
Yes.... IMUs are seriously lacking in QR's network, Nambour/Gympie service
still without comfortable seats and toliet at the moment, and GCR trains
aren't all serve by IMUs.  By releasing some EMU/SMUs working on Nroth
Coast/GCR can solve some peak hour problem with Citytrain as well as provide
EMU shuttle for Corida/Yeerongpilly service and leave ICEs to longer
distance service.

Cheers
james

> Leigh Kirwan wrote:
> >
> > MattyQ wrote:
> >
> > > John Kozak <jkoz@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> > > 5pEV4.38652$PL4.809469@ozemail.com.au">news:5pEV4.38652$PL4.809469@ozemail.com.au...
> > > mean
> > >
> > > This is yet another fine example of the media not having a clue what
they
> > > are talking about. The Brisbane Airport (Airtrain Citylink) is a HEAVY
rail
> > > system. The only difference between the Airport line and any other
line in
> > > Brisbane is that it is privately owned. Everything else is the same -
> > > permanent way, overhead traction, signalling, everything.
> > >
> > > It is intended that a 15 minute service will run. All trains will be
express
> > > between Eagle Junction and Bowen Hills. Every second train will
continue
> > > to/commence from Robina using the same stopping pattern as existing
Robina
> > > services.
> > >

> > Does this mean that the off-peak hourly service to the Gold Coast will
be
> > increased to a 30 min. headway?  QR was recently crowing in the Gold
Coast paper
> > that they had recorded a 10% increase in passengers in the last year.
This is