Re: Catchpoints - what are they?

> >Catchpoints are a set of points where only one rail is switched. They
> >are usually placed at the ends of loops (except CTC), sidings etc to
> >prevent vehicles from fouling the main line. They also serve the
> >purpose of allowing a valid overlap of the signal in rear. In other
> >words, the signal in rear can be cleared to a caution if the catchpoint
> >is open and there is a train or the route is set for the main line.
> >This allows more train movements ie simultaneous entry into a main line
> >and a loop line.
>
> Ian --
>
> I am sure that what you said above was extremely useful information, and I
> thank you for your time in writing a response to my question. Could you
> please take the trouble to write it in laypersons English though? I'm a
> relative novice when it comes to railway terminology - until a few months
> ago I referred to pantographs as "those bouncy things on top of trains which
> touch those overhead wires", which should give some indication as to how
> much of a novice I am. I'm learning new things about railways every time I
> open this newsgroup up daily; of course you weren't to know what a greenhorn
> I am - for me to decipher your message, you'll have to treat me as a five
> year old ;-)

The easy way is too look a picture.  Have a look at:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig/gallery/other/catchpoints-open.jpg
(in the normal or open position, where they will de-rail a train)

http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig/gallery/other/catchpoints-closed.jpg
(in the reverse or closed position, where they will let a train past)

I hope this helps.

--

Chris Gordon

http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig