Re: Catchpoints - what are they?

In article <39308d48@pink.one.net.au>,
  "Bradley Torr" <btorr@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote:
> Could someone please explain to me what 'catchpoints' are, what they
look
> like, and what purpose they serve? Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Bradley.
> Who sometimes wishes there was a "Railfan Dictionary" in
circulation.....

Catchpoints are a set of points where only one rail is switched. They
are usually placed at the ends of loops (except CTC), sidings etc to
prevent vehicles from fouling the main line. They also serve the
purpose of allowing a valid overlap of the signal in rear. In other
words, the signal in rear can be cleared to a caution if the catchpoint
is open and there is a train or the route is set for the main line.
This allows more train movements ie simultaneous entry into a main line
and a loop line.

regards Ian
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/