Re: [TAS] Temma-Balfour Railway

John Dennis wrote:
The May ARHS Bulletin has a feature "Celebrating 50 Years of the New
Series of Bulletin"  One of the illustrations was the front page of the
October 1937 issue, the Second "No. 1".

One item on this page read:

"The 2-ft gauge Temma to Balfour Railway, Tasmania, has been provided
with a "CC" Class engine, possibly either No.26 or No.27.  This was a
3'6" gauge loco converted to 2-ft gauge.  Further information is
awaited with interest."

All I can do is concur with the last sentence.  Does anybody have any
further information, either on the railway itself of the (unlikely)
conversion of a CC class to 2-foot gauge?

Apparently there was a lot in the early Bulletins that was "suspect", to say the least, and I think that this particular item would rate very highly on the "suspect" rating ;-)  However, just because I have never heard anything about this railway, and as far as I know, all the CCc are accounted for, does not mean that there may not be something in it.  I wait with interest comments from our learned Tasmanian colleagues.

After all, conversion from 3ft 6in to smaller gauges is not unheard of, witness the ex TGR V class diesel and ex Mt Lyell passenger cars on the 2ft 6in at Puffing Billy and all those ex QR DHs on the 2ft sugar trams.

Sounds like a possibility for James' Rurr Valley Railway ...
While I would jump at the chance to have a CC, (my very favourite TGR loco) I want mine in 3ft 6in, not 2ft!  (One of these days I'll aquire a suitable chassis and/or wheels and build a CC, and after that........well, a Q would be nice!.)

DPC James McInerney

STOP!  In The Name Of The Lore!

At http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/ , "Lambing Flat's" mainpage for the HO model and NSWGR information.
Or http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/rvrtitle.html  for the "Rurr Valley Railway", my G gauge garden line