Re: [NSW, Ci-tyra-il]Odd observations, Sat. 27 May

> Gnome 412 <gnome412@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> M0MX4.2736$N4.89251@ozemail.com.au">news:M0MX4.2736$N4.89251@ozemail.com.au...
> > Took an afternoon trip from Kogarah to the city and back. As always, the
> > trip was full of surprises.  Starting with 3801 passing very quietly on
> the
> > down at 12.15 pm.
> >
> > The Up and Down Illawarra lines were closed between Hurstville and
> Sydenham,
> > so the Wolli Creek Interchange was out of action after six days' use.  A
> > home-made poster at Kogarah suggested changing at Central for the
Airport
> > (eminently sensible!).  The official poster at Redfern advised of a bus
> > service between Sydenham and Wolli Creek.  I suspect that passengers
from
> > Redfern, Sydenham and Tempe for the airport could have been transported
> > Turrella by East Hills and Macarthur trains much more simply.  I suspect
> > that a bus over the short distance from Wolli Creek to ARNCLIFFE would
> have
> > been welcomed by any unsuspecting airport to Illawarra travellers.  This
> > shutdown was not mentioned at http://www.cityrail.nsw.gov.au/upgrading
or
> in
> > the printed track maintenance posters.
> >
> > The Up and Down Main lines were closed between Illawarra Junction and
> Wells
> > Street to allow reinstallation of the junction with the Up Eveleigh
Engine
> > Dive (or is it now properly the Bi-Di Eveleigh empty train dive?).  West
> and
> > North Inter-city and Olympic Park trains via the Suburban; some Shore -
> West
> > trains diverted to the Local; South Endeavours via the Local; Illawarra
> > Inter-city trains to Martin Place.  It all seemed to be running very
> > smoothly, proving that practice makes perfect. This shutdown was not
> > mentioned at http://www.cityrail.nsw.gov.au/upgrading or in the printed
> > track maintenance posters, but it didn't involve any diversion of
> > passengers.
> >
> > Finally, a small delay which illustrates all the problems of
communication
> > within the CityRail operation and the various reactions of customers.
The
> > nominal 4.40 pm from Bondi Junction to Waterfall was about 10 minutes
late
> > from Central.  The front car was closed off due to graffiti covering
lower
> > deck windows.  The train stopped at Rockdale for 15 minutes while the
> driver
> > investigated a minor defect and conferred with "Defects".  The guard
made
> > appropriate announcements.  Some passengers alighted and left the
station.
> > Some passengers complained to the guard that he should have a better
idea
> of
> > how long the train would be delayed.  After 12 minutes at Rockdale the
ASM
> > (or whatever they're called now) arrived on the platform to get the run
> > number for his report.  The train left Rockdale 27 minutes late.
> >
> > This unimportant incident is worrying in that, even though Rockdale is
> > well-staffed, it seems that train running is no longer the business of
> > Customer Service personnel ... it's something that happens downstairs
> > independently of Station Management and Customer Service Focus!
> >
> > Rgds
> >
> > BTW, what's the correct pronunciation of Wolli Creek?  I've always heard
> it
> > as "wool eye".  The DVA machines seem to think it's "woll (as in knoll)
> > eye".  Some of the human announcers make it "woll ee (as in lolly)".
TIA.

Whilst I am only guessing, the possession on the up and down  Illawarra
lines on Saturday could have been an emergency more than a planned
maintenance. My observations from the 3801 train indicated the only work
between Hurstville and Sydenham as being at the crossovers at Tempe. I will
be out that way again today and look out for any other work.

The 3801 trip to Wollongong and back necessitated running the empty cars
from Eveleigh to Meeks Road thence to Sydney with the reverse in the
evening. As well because the Illawarra dives were out because of the work on
the Up and Down main at the entrance to the Engine Dive (BTW this work was
postponed from the previous Saturday), the train travelled from No. 1
platform at Sydney to the Illawarra local lines over the four sets of
running lines (Main; Suburban; Local; Illa Local) in each direction.

Geoff Lillico
3801 Limited

trains@magna.com.au

www.globalpresence.com.au/3801