Re: Approach to Sydney Central

On Fri, 26 May 2000 19:06:06 +1000, "Paul Cassar"
<railroad2000@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>A tangential turnout is a high speed turnout. The switchers are not as high
>as normal turnouts and are supported by a thicker switch plate.

Tangent is a term used in track geometry. A tangent is a straight line
which touches the circumference of a circle at one point only.

The tangent point (TP) is where a simple (circular) curve joins the
straight track. I think that straight track is called tangent track
but after a quick look through some references I cannot confirm this.

The common tangent point (CTP)  is where a transition curve joins the
circular curve. I assume that it is called this because the two
tangents are parallel at this point.

Hence my guess ( and I emphasise that is what it is)  is that a
tangential turnout is one with curved rather than straight switches.