Re: D57 Class [was Re: 6029]

I agree that a 57 could not be based at Thirlmere.  In fact the whole issue
of what work a 57 would do if restored is another issue altogether!  And not
one I want to buy into just now!!!!!

It always was a mystery to me that 38s were permitted on the loop line,
albeit at low speeds.  I was told that the reason was that steel sleepers
were laid experimentally just after the new main line was opened in 1919.
There was a suggestion that these were war resparations and were made in
Germany.  Are the rails really 1880s vintage?  POssible I suppose, but the
Price-Williams report of 1890 said that the rails needed replacement, which
suggests to me that they were still the original chaired 1867 rails then.
My guess would be that the rails were replaced in Eddy's rebuilding when the
Hill Top deviation was built, but it's just a guess.  Those 1890s main line
steel rails certainly could last till now, given the light traffic since
1919.

ANyway, back to the 57s, the main problem would be clearances not weight
today.  I'm also mystified as to how the 57s met the clearances in the circa
1886 single-track Scarborough tunnel.  Every other tunnel they ran through
was double-track and 20th century.  I'd always assumed that Whitton's
double-track tunnels between Cowan and Kotara were the problem with the 57s
on the short north.

Any comments or corrections VERY welcome!!!

cheers,
Robert