Re: OK silly question..

I think some of the SAR/AN 830s may have had a specifically designed
narrow gauge bogie with frames that were narrower than the broad gauge
ones.  [There seems to be a visible difference.] On the Eyre Peninsula
either 850 or 851 was fitted with 'converted broad gauge bogies',
according to the SA Diesels in the 80s publication done by Port Dock.
That this was worth mentioning seems to indicate that other narrow
gauge units had narrower bogies.

Cheers

Ben

> OK..further to this...wrt narrow..3'6" v standard......42" v 56
1/2".....thats
> 14 1/2" dif in guage...(and of course 7 1/4 a side) looking at
various pix of
> QR diesels the bogie sideframes dont appear all that different ion
terms of
> inboard location v standard guage locos...but pix can be
decieving.....thats
> why I was wondering whether all of the dif in guage is taken by closer
> sideframes..or are the wheels located extra distance inboard from the
journals
> as well ..or combo there-of.
>
> cheers >:~)) Richard
>
> Rod Young wrote:
> >
> > > With the difference between Narrow Gauge and standard
bogies....power
> > bogies
> > > this is...is all the difference in the separation of the
sideframe or is
> > some
> > > dif takenup by differing location (relatively) of wheels on the
axle??

> > > cheers >:~)) Richard
> >
> > In Victoria and SA all locomotive bogies were built to BG standards
with
> > double brake hangers.
> > the SG wheelsets were fitted to a BG bogie, and the brake hangers
moved in
> > to match.
> > Most NSW bogies would not be able to accommodate BG wheel sets
> >
> > --
> >
> > Rod Young
> > http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/
> > Foundation President and Co-Founder
> > Hobsons Bay Model Railway Club Inc.
> > Operators of Australia's only 'Australian' Model Railway Show
> > Every Easter in Melbourne.
> > and my page
> > http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/rods

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/