Re: Riverton to Spalding Line - SA History

Andrew & Meredith Wood <woodam_ma@picknowl.com.au> wrote in message
392ccf6a$1@newsserver1.picknowl.com.au">news:392ccf6a$1@newsserver1.picknowl.com.au...
> I am after any historical references readers of this NG may have on the
> Riverton to Spalding line that ran through the Clare Valley. Not much left
> of it now - some of the route is a cycle / walking track and a few bridges
> culverts etc still remain
>
> I believe it opened in 1922 and was closed in 1985.
>
> Any old photos etc also appreciated
>
> Regards
>
> Andrew Wood

 I can't specifically answer your question but I suspect the Australian
Railway Historical Society would have had some articles in it's Bulletin
Magazine over the years.  Try contacting their achives section (they have
one in Sydney I believe) or perhaps the Port Dock Museum may be able to
help.

Even though the line might have closed in 1985,  I suspect the last service
must have run a few years before that.  I passed the junction at Riverton in
1987 and there was a large (2.5 metre) gum tree sapling growing between the
tracks.