Re: [melb] new trams and seating

Morphett wrote:

> Heard on the grapevine that the new trams that are on order for both
> [Melbourne] companies (Swanston & Yarra trams) will have about 30% less seating
> than existing trams.    I guess they want to squeeze us in a little
> tighter?

Swanston has ordered 59 Combinos from Siemens. Amsterdam has just
ordered 95 Combinos and these have seats for 61 passengers and standing
room for 125 more (ie, 186 altogether). The Amsterdam order is for a
five-section articulated model which includes a seated conductor's desk
at the back (yes, Amsterdam has brought back conductors because of
massive fare evasion and assaults on passengers and drivers by the
city's drug addicts and sundry other low-life).

If the Melbourne Combinos have a similar seating pattern to the
Amsterdam ones (I assume the latter are 2+1 rather than Melbourne's
standard 2+2) then they would have a lower seated capacity than
Melbourne's B2 articulateds (which have 76 seats), but a higher standing
capacity. On routes like St Kilda Road, at present operated by bogie
cars (Zs and Ws) the greater standing capacity would be quite a relief
during the huge crush loads in the peaks (especially on reverse-commute
services taking people to and from Flinders Street station to and from
St Kilda Road stops) which make the Zs very uncomfortable at such times.

Does anyone know the seating configuration of the Melbourne Combinos?

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand