Re: [NSW] D57 Class

campblbm@ozemail.com.au (Barry Campbell) wrote in
<ocQW4.561$N4.14268@ozemail.com.au>:

>>Is it a fact that RAC has been asked for an opionion on the operation
>>of a D57 class? I suspect not, given that other operators are running
>>such strange equipment as ex-VR T class at almost zero notice.
>
>Isn't an ex VR T class just a 49 class on 4 wheel bogies or was there
>another T class?

Sort of, sort of not. The 49 class locos are a G8C whereby the T class
locos are a G8B (1st-3rd series) and G18B (4th series).

The 49 class matches closest to the second series T class, none of which
run in revenue service any more (unless you count WCR's T363 at Ballarat).
The T's running in NSW at the moment are of the 3rd and 4th series, which
look almost identical to each other. This series had a low nose for better
visibility unlike the 49 class which has a nose that is the same height as
the rest of the hood.

Now, for the difference between the 3rd (G8B) and 4th (G18B) series T
class... Series 3 which ran to T398, has an EMD 567CR series engine. The
4th series which include T399-T413, H1-H5 (delivered as T413-T417) have an
EMD 645E engine, slightly higher speed and horsepower (110kph as opposed to
100kph).

I believe the 49 class also has a longer body, similar to our 1st series T,
whereby the 2nd, 3rd and 4th series T had a shorter body.

Hope this disspells the similarity between the 49 and T classes (: Pity
though, it would be nice to see a 49 in VR livery (likewise a 2nd series T
in tuscan) - just for something different (-:

Regards

Michael

(Note new email address, those who have me in their killfile, update
accordingly - mk{AT}netstra.com.au is still my primary email however).

--
     Email: michael {DOT} kurkowski {AT} gunzel {DOT} net
          (Any mail sent to usenet.spam@gunzel.net

   "VKC to all units, Warning to all units, there is a gunzel
         on the loose, approach with EXTREME caution!"