Re: internet timetable displays was countrylink timetable

geoff dawson wrote:

> Surely it would be easy enough to give the customer the choice: do you want
> to see the full timetable sheet, or do you only want to know how to get from
> A to B around 10am Wednesday?
> Even when not in railfan mode, ie even when I simply want to go from A to B,
> I find the 'search' style intensely irritating. You go through half a
> movements and find that perhaps there isn't a convenient service around 10am
> Wednesday at all. So when is there one? Or is another one faster? Repeat the
> whole process. By contrast, scanning the timetable sheet takes a second. To
> my mind, a classic case of mindlessly embracing an advanced technological
> possibility without stopping to think about whether it gives a significant
> benefit.

It would be OK if it came up with what you want exactly.  When there are
multiple choices, you may wish to choose the way that suits you best.  For
example, when the Countrylink one first came online, I said Sydney to Broken
Hill, and it refused to tell me about the OAG - BHL service.  It would only
bring up the DBO - BHL bus.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au