Re: Why is it called "up"?

Kevin Lyons wrote:

> > Queensland is different.  Up is basically south.  So a train starting at
> > Wallangarra (QLD/NSW border) travels down to Brisbane, & keeps on going
> down
> > as it heads for Cairns.
>
> Not quite right. In Queensland all lines follow the same principle as
> elseware except for the western main. It is up to Wallangarra and
> Quilpie/Cunnamulla.This is because,as the first line built in Queensland,
> from Ipswich to Grandchester ( Bigges Camp) is uphill it made sense to call
> it the up. Its now to late to change.
>
> > > Why the confusing terminology?
> >
> > Can't be *too* simple, otherwise any Tom, Dick or Harry off the street
> could
> > come in and run things....
> >
> > --
> > HXP1
> > (now with v6.08 software)

Directions are called "Up" and "Down" based on the English usage.  Up
trains always ran towards London, down trains away.  We have adopted the
same usage, but substituted the appropriate capital city in each state.

Jackson
Jackson & Jo Harding
email:  jaxsonjo@camtech.net.au
mobile: 0412 793 587 (Jackson)