Re: ----The s-p-e-e-d of a train-----[ NSW]

In article <392a1b53$0$2641@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
  " Ian" <iansmith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> I wonder if some of the group can help me?
> How is the speed of a train  determined ? I presume that the driver
has some
> instructions -signage etc.
> I ask this question because , on a train from Seven Hills to
Westmead, some
> days ago,the speed seemed excessive, to the point it concerned quite
a few
> passengers. The whole set was bouncing around a fair bit and it was
very
> hard to stand.
> A few comments to the guard at Westmead by some travelers,were just
laughed
> off.
> Rgds...............................

The speed of a train is determined by speedboards. In NSW they are
yellow with a black number on them eg 80 which means 80 kmh. At
turnouts there is an advisory speedboard with 25 on it which tells the
driver to limit his speed to 25 kph through the points. If the XPT uses
the same line then it has it's own speedboard mounted on top of the
normal one. At Glenfield there are 3 speedboards on top of each other
for XPT, Tilt Train and normal. That was when they had the prototype
Tilt train buzzing around. Anyway the line speed is determined by
factors such as curvature of the rail, track condition etc. The
signalling is worked out based on the line speed (not the other way
round) so if the speed is 100 kph then we'll work out the service
braking, trip braking, route locking timers etc based on that figure.
So 100 kph equates to 27.7 m/s. Anyway hope this helps.

regards

Ian Hayes
Signal Design Engineer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/