Re: US capital for National Express

Brown Family (pcc@ocean.com.au) wrote:
> The way I see it is that NatEx want to replace V/Line's loco-hauled
> passenger rollingstock with DMU's. They will be 2-car additions to the
> Sprinter fleet.

Loco hauled trains will still be needed to places such as Sale (hopefully
Bairnsdale) and Swan Hill.

If the DMUs are fitted out for high capacity, they're not going to be
popular on 5 hour intercity runs. For example, you wouldn't want to run a
CityRail Endeavour on a Canberra service. Remember how popular the
Sprinters were to Albury. :)

On the other hand, if they are arranged for intercity services, you don't
have a huge capacity for interurban and commuter work. It would be
pointless running a 2-car Xplorer on a Moss Vale local during the peak.

> Ok, so far so good, F/A get's most of the A's, N's and the P's. They
> will no doubt be used on Warragul and Stony Point line services

FA will probably get the As and Ps. I think the Ns will stay for a while
longer.

Given the amount of money spent of fitting out the remaining Z cars, I
don't think they'll be retired in a hurry either.

At most, you'll see most of the H sets retired, probably around 2005. If
I was NE, I'd be heeping LH32 and LH33 for their high capacity. Always
useful for a football special.

> Who will get the surplus pass sets or will they be used on
> new/expanded services to Mildura, Korumburra, Bairnsdale and Ararat?

Shorter journey times with DMUs and additional capacity to shorter
routes. I'd include the South Gippsland line in this, as a journey time
of 2 hours is possible with a P and an H set.

Swan Hill could (and IMHO should) get 2 services each weekday. Mildura
could get back day and night services. Comram or Tocumwal is an option.

NE also has to allow for the option of quick regauging of N sets and Z
cars if necessary. Not as easy with DMUs.

> The tremendous success of the Sprinter, arguably the best rail motor
> Victoria has ever had, will want to be repeated by Vline Pass.

Again, DMUs are only going to assist on commuter and interurban services.

Cheers
David